Wastelands of Suburbia

A place where the cast-off ephemera of the last four generations comes to rest, and is discussed fondly....Like junk, or the injection-molded minutiae of history? Welcome home...Junkyards, yard sales, roadside oddities, thrift stores and more-your memories are deep inside the box, so keep shaking.

Sunday, May 05, 2013

Yeah well, anyway...there's THIS

Once again, too much time has gone by, but I promise that THIS time, it's REALLY REALLY gonna change! And enough worrying about what this blog is about-I'm just gonna shoot from the hip and go from there. Whatever.

Got the chance to work with some Kydex the other day-been wanting to make a sheath for my work knife and shears, since the leather ones we get issued are lacking IMHO, as far as not having my shears fall out constantly, anyway...this is what I came up with:



Kydex is pretty easy to work with-you need a toaster oven or heat gun, and some type of press to mold with-I knocked one together out of a silicone baking sheet (for heat dispersion), a foam garden kneeler I cut in two, two pieces of plywood and some of my cheapie squeeze clamps. YouTube is an awesome resource for how-to, as there's more than one way to do this (Like vacu-forming-which I want to try next!)

In the end, I'd probably get the proper rivets or grommets, but I was anxious to play around, and it's just for work anyway, and it works, so who cares if the rivets are shiny aluminum instead of black?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home